Genetic Testing Services
RMA of New York has genetic counselors on staff to assist you in understanding family history, genetic predispositions, and complex genetic information.
Carrier screening is a type of genetic testing used to assess genetic risks to a patient/couple’s offspring that would not be evident from personal or family history alone.
Embryo Testing (PGT)
For patients/couples undergoing treatment with IVF, RMA of New York offers Preimplantation Genetic Testing (PGT) to increase the chance of a healthy pregnancy.
Genetic counselors have advanced training in medical genetics and are able to assist in:
- Interpretation of family and medical histories to assess the risk for diseases with a strong genetic component and the chance of recurrence
- Discussion of genetic disease inheritance, management, prevention, and resources
- Education about genetic tests and interpretation of results
- Individualized counseling to promote informed genetics-related decision-making
In a pre-conception setting, such as during ART/fertility treatment, genetic counseling is focused on reproductive risk and involves meeting with you and your partner (if applicable) to discuss topics such as:
- Risk to offspring for autosomal dominant, autosomal recessive, and X-linked disorders
- Translocations and chromosomal variants
- A family history of genetic disorders
- Carrier screening results
- Selection of a genetically compatible egg or sperm donor
- Age-related risks for chromosome abnormalities (aneuploidy) in offspring
- Preimplantation Genetic Testing (PGT), including aneuploidy (PGT-A), known parental mutations (PGT-M), and structural rearrangements (PGT-SR)
The Genetic Counseling Team at RMA of New York
Why RMA of New York
RMA of New York serves as the Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility at Mount Sinai Medical System. Our laboratory team is dedicated to scientific discovery, graduate medical education through RMA of NY’s REI Fellowship Program, and individualized care that focuses on you.
Our team of embryologists are consistently recognized as innovators in reproductive science and medicine, and security and safety standards. RMA of New York has been at the forefront of embryo freezing technology and cutting-edge research, helping countless individuals and partners achieve the dream of building a family.
What is Preimplantation Genetic Testing for Aneuploidy (PGT-A) and how is it useful?
For patients considering the option of in vitro fertilization (IVF), it’s likely that your …Read More
Mosaic Embryos: What does it mean, and how to handle it?
If you are undergoing fertility treatment using in vitro fertilization (IVF), it is highly likely …Read More