Genetic Testing Services
RMA of New York has genetic counselors on staff to assist you in understanding family history, genetic predispositions, and complex genetic information.
Carrier screening is a type of genetic testing used to assess genetic risks to a patient/couple’s offspring that would not be evident from personal or family history alone.
Embryo Testing (PGT)
For patients/couples undergoing treatment with IVF, RMA of New York offers Preimplantation Genetic Testing (PGT) to increase the chance of a healthy pregnancy.
At the Forefront of Innovation
Genetic counselors have advanced training in medical genetics and are able to assist in:
- Interpretation of family and medical histories to assess the risk for diseases with a strong genetic component and the chance of recurrence
- Discussion of genetic disease inheritance, management, prevention, and resources
- Education about genetic tests and interpretation of results
- Individualized counseling to promote informed genetics-related decision-making
In a pre-conception setting, genetic counseling is focused on reproductive risk and involves meeting with you and your partner to discuss topics such as:
- Parental carrier screening results and residual risk
- Autosomal dominant, autosomal recessive, and X-linked disorders
- Translocations and chromosomal variants
- A family history of genetic disorders
- Whether a family history of cancer warrants further evaluation
- Selection of a genetically compatible egg or sperm donor
- Risk of chromosomally abnormal embryos (Aneuploidy)
- Preimplantation Genetic Testing for known parental mutations (PGT-M) and cytogenetic anomalies (PGT-SR)
- Preimplantation Genetic Testing (PGT-A) for aneuploidy
Genetic counseling is available while you are planning a pregnancy and to help you and your partner understand your options, including whether to proceed with genetic testing or determine which reproductive options are right for you.