Genetic Testing Services
RMA of New York has genetic counselors on staff to assist you in understanding family history, genetic predispositions, and complex genetic information.
Carrier screening is a type of genetic testing used to assess genetic risks to a patient/couple’s offspring that would not be evident from personal or family history alone.
Embryo Testing (PGT)
For patients/couples undergoing treatment with IVF, RMA of New York offers Preimplantation Genetic Testing (PGT) to increase the chance of a healthy pregnancy.
At the Forefront of Innovation
Genetic counselors have advanced training in medical genetics and are able to assist in:
- Interpretation of family and medical histories to assess the risk for diseases with a strong genetic component and the chance of recurrence
- Discussion of genetic disease inheritance, management, prevention, and resources
- Education about genetic tests and interpretation of results
- Individualized counseling to promote informed genetics-related decision-making
In a pre-conception setting, genetic counseling is focused on reproductive risk and involves meeting with you and your partner to discuss topics such as:
- Parental carrier screening results and residual risk
- Autosomal dominant, autosomal recessive, and X-linked disorders
- Translocations and chromosomal variants
- A family history of genetic disorders
- Whether a family history of cancer warrants further evaluation
- Selection of a genetically compatible egg or sperm donor
- Risk of chromosomally abnormal embryos (Aneuploidy)
- Preimplantation Genetic Testing for known parental mutations (PGT-M) and cytogenetic anomalies (PGT-SR)
- Preimplantation Genetic Testing (PGT-A) for aneuploidy
Genetic counseling is available while you are planning a pregnancy and to help you and your partner understand your options, including whether to proceed with genetic testing or determine which reproductive options are right for you.
RMA of NY partners with several genetics-related organizations and medical practices in order to provide streamlined services to patients with genetic concerns, including:
It’s never too early to learn about your fertility and reproductive options.
Have questions? We can help.
Patient-centric reproductive medicine is our specialty, and we look forward to answering any questions you may have.